We appreciate your interest in the Department of Psychology's Master of Science in Psychological Science program and welcome your application for admission. Our deadline for Fall 2024 application is January 15, 2024.
University of Illinois Graduate College Application
Your academic statement should answer the following questions (1,000 words max):
- How has your academic background, including any training, research, or other educational experiences, prepared you for graduate study?
- What are your intellectual interests, and what scholarly questions are you interested in exploring in graduate study?
- Are there any specific faculty members whose research interests align with your own with whom you would like to work?
- How will our program help you achieve your academic and professional goals?
You are asked to submit up to 4 personal statements in the form of short essay questions. The instructions for statements are below. (250 words max for each)
- Please describe any experiences and/or challenges that may have shaped your intellectual and personal development. (required)
- Provide insight into your potential to contribute to a community of inclusion, belonging, and respect in which scholars with diverse perspectives, abilities, and experiences can learn and collaborate productively and positively. (required)
- Please address any concerns you may have in your application. If, for example, you do not believe that your academic credentials demonstrate your true capabilities, please explain why. Also, describe any gaps in your academic career and work experience or any extenuating circumstances in your profile of which the admissions committee should be made aware. (optional)
- If there is something that you would like to highlight that you have yet to discuss in other areas of the application, please do so here. (optional)
Academic History from degree granting institutions are uploaded while completing the application form. Official transcripts are not required at the time of application.
The CV/Resume is your opportunity to highlight your accomplishments including relevant research experience, publications, awards, volunteer work, skills, and evidence to diversity and inclusion.
Letters of Recommendation
Three letters are required. In your online application, you will need to provide the following information about each recommender: name, address, title, organization, relationship to you (professor, employer, etc), and email address. You can submit additional references, but we ask that you do not exceed 5 letters.
Students interested in Industrial-Organizational or Quantitative Research training are required to submit GRE (general exam) scores. For those with interests in other areas, the GRE is optional. We recommend that all applicants provide information in their academic statement about their background in quantitative methods. We do not have a requirement for minimum scores. Our Institution Code is 1836 (Department code is 2016, but is not necessary).
Domestic applicants will be required to submit a $70 application fee. International applicants will be required to submit a $90 application fee. If you are a University of Illinois employee (Academic Professional, Civil Service, or Faculty), or a fee waiver recipient (I-Promise Scholar, McNair Scholar, Project 1000 Applicant, Big Ten Academic Alliance Applicant, or SROP Participant), you may select your eligibility for an application fee waiver in the online application.
Additional Requirements for International Applicants:
Additional Degree Information
International applicants must meet minimum requirements based on their country of origin.
Evidence of English Proficiency
English proficiency is typically demonstrated via the TOEFL exam or IELTS.
International applicants who are requesting F-1 or J-1 visa eligibility documents are required to submit Proof of Funding Documentation. These documents are not required at the time of application, but will be requested later in the review process if needed.
Deadline: January 15, 2024
If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com or (217) 333-2169.
Note: If your contact information changes after applying, please notify us immediately.